BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Vicious Circle

It's remarkable to me how closely many great movie moments mimic life. It's what makes them inherently great moments, naturally. I can recite specific scenes from a wide variety of films that connect deeply with me and that I admire greatly in some way, shape or form. There is a scene in Garden State, for instance, where Zach Braff and Natalie Portman are in a friend's pool discussing life that just gets me. It is so true and simple that despite the disconnect I feel from the characters the rest of the movie, I like to think I can understand them in context...or connect with them in some way. And perhaps more importantly, that they understand me (albeit in some existential way), if you can grasp what I am saying.

Anyway, that's not quite as interesting to me in general terms than the exact opposite of the idea. I mean, I have related more moments in my life to movie scenes than I can begin to fathom. It happens daily...hell, nearly hourly with me. Or at least, my mind makes the connection whether I verbalize it or not. Interesting. Film mimics life, but in the same vein i've become accumstomed enough to so many films and they have become such an entrenched facet of my existence that the opposite seems to be true as well. Life, for me at least, mimics film...or, more broadly I suppose, life mimics art. For some people it's TV shows (The Simpsons and Family Guy seem especially prone to this amongst folks from our generation) or music, but I bet most people can recite many more relevant film anecdotes that mirror some happening in their life. I dunno, it's just an intriguing concept to me how natural a process this seems to me, and just how much it actually happens on a day to day basis.

Maybe I'll make a film someday about this cycle - one scene mimicking another in a strange, perverse pinwheel of a script. I guess that would be the ultimate string of great 'connecting' moments for me, if you think about it: the perfect circle of film and art, art and film, and on and on and on...

0 comments: