BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 25, 2009

Captain's Log...er...I mean, Director's Log...


I've begun taking a course in 16mm film production and I figure some reflections are in order. It's basically a boot camp in making a short film from scratch, with all the details on my lonesome shoulders. I guess I'll try and keep a bit of a log once I start actually filming the short I am intending to produce, but for now here's just some initial thoughts.

I suppose I bitch and moan and champion film enough that its about time I buckle down, shut up and make one myself. And while I am excited to be involved with the process and get my hands dirty, I know damn well the amount of effort and time this will take...especially since this is going to be filmed on 16mm, with all the post-production and editing and literal cutting-and-pasting to go along with it. Getting right in there and handling the film is about the most exciting propect I can think of, and translating my love of film into a creative outlet is something deep and meaningful for me at this junture of my life.


So what to film?

I am limited only by imagination, of course, but thats a decieving notion. Realistically, I am limited by budgetary and production constraints (basically, for this project, thats no money and about 20 minutes of 16mm film stock). However, within that framework, imagination is definitely key. It's not about simply choosing a topic or idea, but taking those constraints and turning them to your advantage. Some of the best films are made under pressure and with a limited budget. It forces directors to be creative. They can't just throw money into something hoping a solution can be bought and easily formed.

Obviously, I know what you're thinking - I'm going to film a horror flick. And of course I am! Something nice, short and tense. Something with minimal gore and loads of atmosphere. Something that reflects the true motivation of the best of horror films. The possibilities are endless...and I'm starting my script soon, so the masterpiece will soon be underway.

I'll keep ya posted. That's if you don't see me accepting my Oscar first ;)

0 comments: