BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Contraband


I've been delving into some interesting sub-genres as of late, and finding some incredible gems. Spaghetti Westerns are quickly becoming some of my very favorite movies...and I'm starting in on the awesomeness which is the Poliziotteschi films. For those unaware (ie: everyone reading this), Poliziotteschi are sort of low-key, grimy crime flicks with lots of blood & guts, typically from Italy in the late 60's through to the 80's (wiki article here).

Case in point, we have Fulci's Contraband. Now, I am familiar with the auteur's catalog (too familiar, perhaps, for a giant hack, but i digress), and have been consistently disappointed with his output beyond his major horror and giallo works. However, Contraband was a breath of fresh air. I won't lie - this film isn't for everyone. In fact, it's hardly for anyone except a select few familiar with the sleazy Italian works of the 60's and 70's. I, however, loved loved loved this flick. It's chock full of ridiculous machismo and testosterone, and has the usual Fulci gore, but also has a fun and interesting story to back it up.

Having only seen a few of the other films available in the Poliziotteschi sub-genre (region 1 DVDs are very difficult to find for most of them) this, along with Castellaris' The Big Racket truly has me excited to find more and more. If you're willing to take a sleazy, chessy chance, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with this entry. Great stuff!

0 comments: